Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Apology. Greece Post 4

Let me just say, I'm blessed. I have spent the last 3 weeks with some of the most amazing people. Looking around campus you would quickly come to realize that this is quite the eclectic bunch.

While the first few weeks felt like summer camp on steroids along with the beach, a new town, an unknown culture, and amazing food. Bliss, adventure, and awe would be the way I would describe the first week. There was always something going on, someone to chat with, and a new experience awaiting. I remember talking with a friend expressing that while this is fun, once reality hits the truth of personalities will be exposed. These three months abroad are not going to be pure perfection, but there will be difficulties. We will face many troubles and be confronted with a plethora of trials. 

Now that we have hit week 3, genuine connections are in the process of being made. With the connections, honesty arises. As a community we are confronted with pain, joy, unbelief, conflict, and the need for true community.

Yesterday in Christianity and Western Culture our teacher read the 39th chapter of Tertullian's Apology. 
"It is mainly the deeds of a love so noble that lead many to put a brand upon us. See, they say, how they love one another.One in mind and soul, we do not hesitate to share our earthly goods with one another."
This text was a testimony of the beginning of the Christian community, where believers willingly gave, and were truly known by their love. 

I am blessed to say that I have experienced this love. This love that can change a heart. This love that brings in those who encounter it. This love that is completely different from anything else this world has to offer. This love that has changed my life. 

Tonight we had our girl's small group tonight and we talked about our happys and crappys (also known as highs and lows) of the week, then split up to pray for each other. I wish I could have taken a snapshot of what I then experienced. I saw the girls around connect on a variety of subject matter; from pain, school, and other issues. Through prayer we were showing each other love in a way unlike what the world can experience without Christ. While I'm coming to the reality that all isn't perfect, I do see that life is a blessing. I'm surrounding by people who love Jesus, and are desiring to love the body of Christ too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment