Friday, August 2, 2013

Truth In Pain. Greece Post 1

Greece is beautiful. I have never felt a more instant connection to a place before I stepped off the plane. Many of you know of my love for Chicago, however this is different. It's the kind of feeling of belonging, and purpose. I feel it deepen the more I learn about the culture, people, and history.

We landed two days ago in Athens, to make our way back to our new home. I looked out the window awestruck at a land unlike anything I had seen before. Cars littered the curb, along with the intriguing signs filled with Greek characters, a olive tree or grape vineyard could be seen from every direction. I was brought to silence with all that surrounded me. Even the quaint campus we pulled up to was perfect. I ate my first Greek meal of meat, tomatoes, and fresh bread. After the Greek national nap time (yes the country has quiet hours for a big meal, and siesta) we went to the Aegean Sea. Naturally with my own name meaning, of the sea, I was once again comforted with the abundant sense of peace and joy.

The next day we went into Athens to visit the breathtaking sites of Mars Hill, Syntagma square, and the Acropolis. We journeyed around the marble stone sidewalks up to Mars Hill where there was a sublime view of the city. We could see the Agora (Market), Acropolis, and the remains of the ancient land. One of our professors read Acts 17, the sermon that was initially conveyed across this hill to the scholars of ancient Greece. While praying upon this mount I heard God speaking directly to my heart. He said "See what you see, this is my land. These are my people. The Gospel was given to them, that it may be given to you. Look over this land. I feel how your heart swells with love. The only reason you love them, is because I love my people. You are here to see my kingdom. You are to proclaim Truth to the seeking ones in this land. I am with you, and I have sent you."  I looked around wondering who I could tell about this encounter, realizing I myself had no way of understanding it. The Lord of all the earth, who spoke life into the very breath of life, just spoke to my heart. He spoke to me conveying a purpose bigger than myself.

Now, a day later from when God spoke to me I sit in my bed with over 75 red, bumps, that are itchy, burning, swelling with pus, swirling me into misery. These started when initially arrived, but I hoped they would soon go away. It seemed with every passing hour that there were more, and soon my body was covered. I'm asking why? I didn't get called 5,428 miles to sit in a room in pain. The local pharmacist had never seen anything like it, a doctor visited the school who also did not know the cause of the bumps. I will be going to the doctor later to get some tests run.

While I was writing this post words "I have decided to follow Jesus" play through the speakers of my computer. No physical pain can dull the earth shattering truth of God. He is Truth. He is Faithful. He is Healer who has redeemed me from my pain. This pain that I feel does not change the fact that I have been called to Greece, to serve and fall more in love with Christ.

Even through the tears their is an eternal joy. Even through the searing pain there is peace. Even through the unknown there is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment