Thursday, July 18, 2013

Understand.

I watched "Eat, Pray, Love" several years ago after reading the book. Elizabeth, played by Julia Roberts, steeps in her favorite Italian word. I replay this with romantic undertones as I sought to find my word. The word that gathers life and understanding. I envy the confidence in which she proclaimed "attraversiamo," meaning let's cross over, at the end of her self exploration. Everyone deserves to find their word. The word that dances of the tongue, embodying who they were, who they are, and who they desire to be. 

In 12 days I fly off to Greece. While the trip administrators said there was no need to understand Greek, I took it upon myself be more than the typical America traveler. I started sporadically practicing the language re-writing the historic dialect in awe.There was something about this practice that seduced me. Every ounce of my desire wanted to pursue understanding and consequently I realized this language was coming natural. The alphabet turned from an intimidation to a beckoning challenge. Alpha, beta, and gamma became my new friends. 


Then I stumbled upon it. My word. It spoke to my soul through the audio recording playing through my radio. 

καταλαβαίνω(pronounced; ka-ta-la-vai-no)

I found this word coming to swirling around my dreams and expectations, while comforting my current state. καταλαβαίνω means understand. While I will probably use it's companion, Δεν καταλαβαίνω meaning I don't understand often, there is something about understanding in it's raw ancient form that intrigues me.

 
In restating Plato who claimed that through knowledge we realize our lack of knowledge, and desperate need of it. I claim Δεν καταλαβαίνω not in misery, but as a catalyst to pursue καταλαβαίνω. 


No comments:

Post a Comment